Saturday, July 19, 2008

Jehling ramen, beef flavor + question/answer session!

Today in my common "need lunch and need lunch now but there is no lunch to be had in my place of residence" mode, I decided to bite the bullet and try one of the two ramens I've been avoiding for a few weeks. It is Jehling Ramen Noodle Soup, beef flavor.

jehling

My darling mother (Hi Mom) purchased a bunch of these at some über-discount store a few years ago. They've been sitting there with nobody to eat them, so I rescued one a while back. Their age intimidated me, as well as my inability to recognize the brand. So here I sit, eating them while they're still unidentifiable, but getting even older.

I opened the package and took out the flavor packet.
jehling_packet
LOOK. This brand is just the same as some other brand- I've seen this packet before! I don't remember which kind it is, but it's the same flavoring. Therefore, this comes down to "how good is indeterminably old ramen?"

The consensus is "bad." It cooked unevenly, leaving me with dissolved noodly bits in the corners of my bowl. It gives off a bad odor. It emits a bad taste. You can tell it's beef, but it's masked by the taste of bad.

Okay, it's not really that bad, just avoid it. It's the second ramen I haven't bothered fully finishing, although I did eat all the noodles from the Milunch instantanéo.

Final score: don't eat/5

To make up for the shortness of this entry, I present you with
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS! Because I don't actually get questions emailed to me or anything, I will be using the Google queries that led visitors to this site.

Quick note: I've had 40 hits due to Google, 12 of them being people looking for reviews of Nissin Choice Ramen. They should pay me royalties. *wink wink*

To the questions/queries!

"does ramen stain"
Yes.

"expired ramen safe"
I'm going to assume you're asking if expired ramen IS safe. Be more careful with your inquiries! As we've seen, the answer really depends on the brand. If it's only a few days old, as with anything, go for it; if it's years old, apparently not, although the stuff in the cup doesn't seem to be affected. Take this with a grain of MSG (ha! I made a funny) because I've only reviewed a few of these.

"how to make top ramen not sticky"
Add water. Seriously, just dump some more in and stir.

"professional ramen"
Rebuttal question: What?

"sapporo"
Sapporo is a city in Japan. I don't know how you got to my blog by Googling that. For giggles, I put it into Google myself; my blog wasn't on the first 25 pages of hits. I'm impressed.

And last but not least, my favorite:
"sapporo ichiban + top ramen?"
= twice the ramen, twice the fun! Although personally I'd ditch the Top Ramen and just go with two of the Ichibans. (I'm on the first page for this one.)

This was fun. I'll do this more often! In the meantime, if you have questions you don't want to transmit through the medium of Google, leave 'em in a comment!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, there is still a lot of that stuff left in the pantry, should I pitch it?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie said...

My kids are huge ramen freaks they love them. unfortunatly last night we oped a few packs to eat and one of the flavor packs was wrapped in blue duck tape with no seasoning in it. i wanna post a picture. how do i do it i am sueing for real the package was not opened. i opened it to dump the noodles in water and cook it the seasoning fell out taped.

KFM said...

I've eaten a lot of different kind of ramen, but I agree, this Jehling stuff just sucks.

I ended up coming here to get some more information about them, but instead just found a review that pretty much stated what I'd experienced already when I ate them.

At least now you know that age wasn't a factor! :D

Kellylaje said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jenine said...

Never eat anything that's been sitting in your cabinet/pantry for a few years. LOL. The Jehling brand your mom brought was from ALDI. It's a small-discount mart similar to Save-A-Lot but their layout is very different. I like a lot of foods from there, but their hot dogs are too small for me. Ha, ha, ha. Anyway, it is possible that their brand is made in the same factory as Nissin. I did hear from an episode of Unwrapped one time when they were talking about ALDI's, that most of their brands are manufactured in big name companies. In other words, you're getting the same thing for less.

I think Jehling noodles are good. Just eat them in a timely manner. ;) I used to like their chicken flavor too. Definitely a good buy for anyone on a budget.

John said...

uboutin shoes
polo ralph lauren outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
ed hardy
coach factory outlet online
tods outlet online
gucci outlet online
coach handbags
pandora charms
coach outlet store
yolo

white sofa covers said...

Okay, it's not really that bad, just avoid it. It's the second ramen I haven't bothered fully finishing, although I did eat all the noodles from the Milunch instantanéo.
stitching unit ,
tailoring factory ,

renikash said...

have a peek herebrowse around this website this pagego to the website see hereread the article