Thursday, June 12, 2008

Annie Chun's Noodle Express: Teriyaki

Annie Chun's Noodle Express: Teriyaki

As you can see, the packaging on this does not emanate an aura of "eat me, I'm cheap-" and as far as ramens are concerned, it really wasn't, with a list price of $3.19 and a sale price of $2.50 at Meijer. However, rather contradictorily, it also wants to appeal to the busy working class, as displayed by the proclamation "Ready in 1 minute." I wasn't paying, so my working class side won out, and the ramen was purchased. When I got to work this morning, I took it out of my bag to admire the fanciness, and noticed two things: the packaging was a special "Earth-Friendly Biodegradable Tray," and said tray was cracked. A huge chunk of the corner was missing! Feeling rather ripped off (what's the point of prepackaged food if you have to change the packaging?) I opened up the bags and dumped the contents into a bowl I borrowed from a coworker. The noodles came pre-cooked, but in a bag-shaped blob. I used a fork to try to pry the noodles apart, but only succeeded in creating noodle bits. Giving up, I put the noodle/teriyaki sauce/dry "vegetable" lump into the microvave for one minute.

After the minute was up, I removed the lump from the microwave, and once again poked at it with my fork. It came apart much more easily this time, but not fully, and was also not completely hot in the middle. It went back in for thirty seconds. This may have been too long, because the sauce got dry and lumpy and kinda gross. The "vegetables" also had not transformed into a pleasing, non-dry-vegetable texture. It tasted okay- kinda like overly sticky teriyaki noodles coated in dry onion'n'carrot flakes. Not my favorite, but passable.

Pros: Fast, not terribly untasty, biodegradeable packaging!, awkwardly pretentious
Cons: "Veggies," dry, relatively expensive, hole in the tray =(
Final score: 2/5

No comments: