Friday, January 16, 2009

Maruchan Yakisoba, teriyaki flavor

Hiiiiii.

I'm here to review a ramen I never really planned to. I've already done the chicken flavor, and as you can read for yourself, I was rather disappointed. I got a varied response, ranging from agreement to quasi-indignation. (No, you're not supposed to dump out the water. Don't be silly.) There was also a warning that it "tastes like spicy maple syrup. In a bad way."

...

This is a challenge. I've eaten plenty of bad ramen. I can stand to eat some more, even those whose ingredients include "pineapple powder (pineapple, sugar)" and such toxic-sounding chemicals as disodium guanylate and silicon dioxide.

First I decided that if I was going to die, I'd at least have fun beforehand. Hereare the standard packaging photos, except they're themed.

To begin, yakisoba as a snotty recent MBA grad. (Use your imagination.)
teriyakisoba_exec

Yakisoba ready for a night on the town.
teriyakisoba_shoes

Yakisoba preparing to go out into the elements. (Bonus: If you see someone wearing these exact same not-exactly-matching winter garments, ask about ramen and they can probably yap your ear off.)
teriyakisoba_winter

Finally, yakisoba reading a cheap (legal) photocopy of Steve B. Howell's Handbook of CCD Astronomy.
teriyakisoba_ccd

I put in the water, put it in the microwave for the recommended four minutes blah blah.

doesn't this look yummy?  (no)

Again it came out smelling strongly of vegetables. Here's the thing: Like I said before, I eat vegetarian now; I have since early September, I think. So now, vegetables smell good, because unlike before, vegetables are actual food. So this, to the hungry Reviewer, was a plus. (Coincidentally so is this: +)

Also, the top of the brick wasn't fully cooked, so I gave it a good stir and let it sit. It never really reached a uniform color, though.

Then I stirred in the seasoning. It smelled like... well... cheap dehydrated teriyaki. Emphasis on the "cheap."

First bite: Yes, it's kind of overly sweet. It's also very mildly spicy- not enough to notice while eating, but it makes my lips tingle. That could be the salt, though. (Or the silicon dioxide- who knows?) And unfortunately, the sweetness means that the vegetables, while not altogether horrible, don't really mesh well with the teriyaki flavor.

There's still a little bit of water in the bottom, but it's not splashing everywhere. This could be due to my being alone in my room, though-- I can be as undignified as I like and eat with my face two inches away from the conveniently included bowl.

A bite with corn in it was considerably less teriyaki-like and significantly more corn-y. I only found this strange because the corn was originally dehydrated and didn't expect it to have this much flavor.

In general, I've become terribly inconsistent. Sorry, Reader. On the plus side, I can see myself actually finishing this one, something that doesn't happen much 'round these parts. HAHA I profit and you don't.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to nom on some pretty good instant noodles.

(Oh do you want a score? On a scale of 1-3, it's a 2. Edible but not excellent.)

5 comments:

yanmaneee said...

off white x jordan 1
lebron 15 shoes
golden goose outlet
birkin bag
kd shoes
adidas tubular shadow
harden shoes
converse shoes
nike air max 95
louboutin outlet

sofa cover price said...

First I decided that if I was going to die, I'd at least have fun beforehand. Hereare the standard packaging photos, except they're themed.
black salwar ,
black salwar suit party wear ,

Unknown said...

you can look here Louis Vuitton replica Bags get redirected here Louis Vuitton replica Bags read this article designer replica luggage

Unknown said...

i loved this replica wallets Full Article bags replica ysl Go Here have a peek at this web-site

shoatea said...

replica bags in pakistan hermes replica handbags g2g94w4s69 replica chanel bags ebay This Site d6a96j2y78 aaa replica bags replica bags aaa replica bags paypal read more l8g06i6g49 replica bags reddit