Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thai Kitchen instant rice noodle soup, Garlic & Vegetable flavor

Hi everyone. Today I shall be revieing Thai Kitchen's "instant rice noodle soup," in the Garlic & Vegetable flavor. It's vegan! And it falls into that category of "probably not actually ramen" (actually it's definitely not ramen) so I did actually go ahead and change the subtitle of the blog. It'll be like an in-joke. I can see it now:

"Why is the subtitle of that awesome blog so nonspecific?"

"Because the author kept reviewing non-ramen. *nods sagely*"

Also on the list of changes I made: I decided to change my scoring system. I'm through with the score-out-of-five system-- it's too rough. I can't remember where I've ranked things and I do feel like I either love ramens or hate ramens, so it makes more sense to go with a three-tiered system, the options being "good," "bad," and "indifferent." Hooray eloquence.

Onto the not-ramen.

tk1

First, what I was expecting. I love garlic. I love- well not love, but tolerate vegetables. When I think "garlic," I think "spaghetti." Since I'm not well-versed in pseudo-Thai food, and this is a noodle product, my mental image became spaghetti-like.

I was instructed to add a cup of water (which I wouldn't ultimately drain) to the noodles, along with the packets of oil and seasoning. The seasoning smelled great, but the oil smelled... off. The combination of the ingredients smelled oily and sort of questionable. I chalked it up to the package expiring back in July. (This was the point at which I noticed the camera thought it was March. I was apparently stuck in some sort of weird three-month... trichotomy.) Apparently I have a thing for old food. Maybe I should talk to someone about that.

tk2

I took it out of the microwave and poked at it a little. The rice noodles were a pleasant change-- they were thin, bendy, and not fried. (They sort of looked to me a little like some form of parasite, but I got over that.)

tk3

The one cup of water was a surprisingly good amount. The water got absorbed, but if I squished the noodles, it came oozing out. It smelled okay.

However, where it faltered was living up to my expectations. Here's exactly what I wrote down in my notes:

"tastes okay. not my favorite, by a long shot, but it's edible.

also expected vegetable hunks but no

so basically tastes nothing like garlic and vegetable to me.

basically tastes like 'bleugh.' kind of musty. stale. like old oil. maybe the oil spoiled. is that possible? or maybe the noodles went bad. i don't know."

(I then found one of my own hairs in the bowl and got a little weirded out because I wasn't sure how that got there. But I digress...) ANYWAY I couldn't eat much of it. It tasted worse and worse with each bite. "Musty" really was the best adjective somehow.

The worst was yet to come. I dumped it in the trash and took the trash out, but the smell just wouldn't go away. I opened a window, which took care of my room (only to infect the hallway) but the bowl was a hopeless case. I scrubbed and scrubbed and washed it a few times, but even now it smells like bad oil. >=( Oh well, good thing it was actually my roommate's...

Final score: bad

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm... I've always just thrown the oil packet away, results are delicious.

Unknown said...

I fully agree with "anonymous" (genuis name, btw). While I had the spring onion, I don't usually like such indistinct flavor names, and I'm not a ramen lover, more of a "I have nothing left in this dern house except ramen...guess that's why I bought it a year ago, in this event." But I must say, I bought 4 more packages of this one. I use all of the seasoning, and maybe a third of the oil in this one, comes out good and spicy.

Unknown said...

Just had one the first time today. Noodles would NOT soften after 3 minutes cook time and 2 minutes of sitting.Disgusting. Utter garbage. Also had to take the garbage out after disposing.

Anonymous said...

While the package gives you direction for cooking in the microwave, cooking on the stove top yields much better results. The noodles will actually soften when cooked on the stove, unlike in the microwave where they tend to stay rather crunchy.

Trixie Fontaine said...

I actually love the lemongrass & chili and bombay curry varieties of these noodle packets, and the oil is AWESOME, like a special treat.

Agree with previous comment: COOK ON THE STOVE. Cooking noodles in the microwave is a very half-assed measure that degrades quality by half, at least.

If you're in the mood for ramen, these rice noodles will never measure up, especially the blander flavors packs, BUT if you know to expect rice noodles AND want something healthier, these are great.

I put the oil pack on after I've drained the noodles somewhat so that I can have a greasier, more flavorful experience.

Anonymous said...

it was really dood

Anonymous said...

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-street-vendors-use-gutter-oil-2013-10
I read several articles about Asia contracting oil from garbage and selling it for cooking oil because it is cheap. This smells about like I would imagine that does. I looked this blog up today, because I purchased the Thai kitchen spring onion rice noodle soup. I had the same reaction. This cannot be good for me. It smells like old shit and petroleum. The oil also was still almost a solid in the boiling water. Scary. Beware when buying "food" from especially China and other Asian countries. I love Asian food, but make sure you know your source. In China it seems money is way more valuable than human life. These companies would not hesitate to sell cheap shit for anyone to eat even if it was not fit for consumption.

yanmaneee said...

kobe 11
nike air max 2019
jordan shoes
nike air max 97
kevin durant shoes
supreme
coach outlet online
yeezy shoes
hermes handbags
valentino shoes

Unknown said...

r9s16a1k95 g7i03u4e27 k2v42c8o48 h3f63s7g85 c9s76s7d78 i4p54i0u29